A good place to BUILD BUSINESS NOW.
“If you don’t build your dream, someone else will hire you to help them build theirs.”
— Dhirubhai Ambani, founder, Reliance Industries
Your 1-2-3 Tool Kit for business start-up starts here and now:
Congratulations! You’ve made the decision to start your own small business. You’re in a good place, and now is the right time: In 2015, approximately 300 new businesses were registered in Rockingham County.
There are a lot of big tasks ahead for you and your business in acquiring and managing resources, and you’ll find help for that on our Services and Partners page. However, right now you’re going to start the process of registering your business in Rockingham County.
Before you begin your research for business startup and registration information consult these three general business information web sites:
Step 1: Register Your Business
- If your business is a Sole Proprietorship, file a Certificate of Assumed Name with the Register of Deeds at the Rockingham County Courthouse.
- Research availability of business name HERE.
- If your business is an LLC or Corporation (including s-Corp.), you must file with the Secretary of State.
- Search for availability of business name and then complete on-line application HERE.
Step 2: Register to Pay Business Taxes & Other Registrations
- Apply for Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) HERE
- Apply for NC Tax ID Number HERE
- Apply for NC Privilege License HERE
- Special License Requirements–search to see if required HERE
- Rockingham County Planning & Zoning–search for applicable zoning requirements HERE
- Rockingham County Tax Listing–file business personal property for tax purposes HERE
Local Registration Requirements
If a business is located within the city or town limits of a Rockingham County municipality or if a business plans to conduct significant business within a city or town, then you must check with the local city/town government to file for a city registration.
Click the links below for more information or download the Local Resources Sheet HERE.